Full course description
Linux Essentials Overview
The Linux Essentials course, developed and supported by our Cisco Networking Academy and partner content through NDG, teaches students the fundamentals of the Linux operating system and command line, and basic open source concepts.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand how Linux is used and the basics of the command line.
- Apply skills using Linux virtual machine with step-by-step and hands-on lab activities.
- Build foundational knowledge for progressively mastering Linux commands.
- Connect with the global Cisco Networking Academy community.
Students utilize a web browser to access the Linux Essentials content modules, lab exercises and virtual machines via Cisco NetAcad.com. Each learner has hands-on access to a Linux virtual machine to practice, explore, and test Linux command-line concepts.
The 18-chapter, 70-hour course aligns to the Linux Professional Institute (LPI) Linux Essentials Professional Development Certificate, focusing on the following concepts:
- FOSS, the various communities, and licenses
- Knowledge of open source applications in the workplace as they relate to closed source equivalents
- Basic concepts of hardware, processes, programs and the components of the Linux operating system
- Work on the command line and with files
- Create and restore compressed backups and archives
- System security, users/groups and file permissions for public and private directories
- Create and run simple scripts
- After enrollment, you can expect an onboarding email within 1-2 business days.